Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Hunger Games, Catching Fire ... What did you love/hate?

The Hunger GamesCatching Fire (The Second Book of the Hunger Games)Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger Games)

I felt borderline sacrilegious when I typed "hate" in the post title! I can't image such a thing, but I did that just to prove to you (and myself) that I'm genuinely interested to hear your thoughts about this series. To me, this story is so romantic and tragic, beautifully melancholy, and dreadfully optimistic.

What I wanna know, is:

a) What is going on with that sneaky capital

b) Will both of Katniss' love interests survive for her to choose one of them? Or will she end up with whoever lives? Ugh, the suspense!

Here's my take on the whole, team Peeta / team Gale situation...

Peeta is loyal, charming, loving, sincere, and would be an amazing dad. Let's face it...he'd do ANYTHING for Katniss...even die for her. He's proven he has a spine and ultimately he just wants Katniss to be happy...even if it breaks his heart.

Gale, on the other hand, is sort of a loose cannon. I feel like I don't really know who he is. But its unquestionable that he and Katniss are best friends, and are developing romantic feelings for each other. They have much in common and they feel like they belong together.

So does she make the rational choice, or go with her heart?

And where is Peeta anyway?! At the end of the second book, we don't even know if he's going to live! I think he will somehow give up his life for Katniss and the greater good and she'll end up with Gale, but I could totally be wrong.

c) Ooh, and what's going on with the most delightful and sweet Cinna? He really stole my heart and I wanna know more about him. He lives in the capital, yet he's also a major player in the uprising. Can't wait to see what happens...I don't think we've seen the last of him.

d) And last but not least, what is up with district 13? I definitely think it still exists in some form but I can't quite piece everything together.

Just have to wait four and a half more months to find out--aah!

4 comments:

  1. We definitely don't know enough about Gale to really love him yet. If Katniss ever chose Gale over Peeta, I'd be soooo mad, which is why I think you're right--Peeta will probably be killed, leaving Katniss free to be with Gale without consequence.

    Cinna cracks me up--he's the quintessential flamboyantly gay best friend.

    I think District 13 is still very much alive, but underground (either literally or figuratively). They'll be the key to taking down the Capitol.

    Here's another question: who would you want to be cast in the movie? Here's what I came up with off the top of my head:

    Katniss: Dakota Fanning
    Peeta: Shia LaBeouf
    Gale: Anton Yelchin (look him up, the kid is amazing)
    Haymitch: Nick Nolte
    Cinna: Adam Shankman, one of the judges on So You Think You Can Dance. Hahahaha, Kate you would love that. (She hates him.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are my thoughts in addition to yours...(sorry, but I'm all Dakota Fanning-ed out.)

    Katniss: Dakota Fanning, Daveigh Chase
    Peeta: Shia LaBeouf Like him, but needs blonde hair (and longer hair, in my opinion)
    Gale: Anton Yelchin, Drew Roy
    Haymitch: Nick Nolte, Hugh Laurie
    Cinna: Adam Shankman, Edward Norton, Hugh Dancy
    Effie Trinket: Kristen Chenoweth
    Prim: Elle Fanning, Adair Tishler, Abigail Breslin
    Rue: Dakota Blue Richards

    That's all I have for now but I'm sure I'll come up with more ideas as time goes on (now that ya got me thinking about it!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness...so much to comment on.

    Ultimately I don't think either of them should die and she should have to choose. I'm tired of it working out so that it's easy for the heroin to make a choice (I'm talking about you Bella...getting Edward and Jacob conveniently falling for your daughter...oh and you get everything you ever wanted wrapped up in a neat little package)

    Life is messy, hearts get broken. You can love more than one person and have to choose between them. I think with the other harsh realities in the book, the only realistic ending would be if she actually chose between them...and if someone has to die, she makes that choice BEFORE they do. How would you like to be the guy that always wonders if you chose him only because the other dude died?

    I'm team Gale all the way. (Shocking!) True we don't know as much about him...but what we do know is that he loved her from the very first chapter (wanting to run away with her), he was willing to let her be with Peeta even though he loved her - which btw he could have been a real jerk about but wasn't. He is ALWAYS honest with her - something that Peeta is not (and screw good intentions, I hate that Peeta's always playing the martyr and trying to trick her). I love the ending of the second book when Gale shows up and she says "Someone who will not plead, or explain, or think he can alter my design with entreaties, because he alone really knows how I operate" and "Gale is not one to keep secrets from me...". Gale is her soul mate - her best friend, the one person on earth who knows the true her (the one before the hunger games and the one she can be most honest with after the hunger games)

    Peeta's love is circumstantial...and her feelings for him are ONLY as a result of the hunger games. Love as a result of stress or forced situation can have a VERY shaky foundation. Great, he had a crush on her when she was 5...and he has been stellar at sacrificing himself to keep her safe; but without the hunger games she wouldn't even know that he was anything other than a boy that helped her once. She did what she had to do to stay alive, but her first thoughts were always about Gale. She will always have a place in her heart for Peeta - but as a result of their time surrounding the games - not from years of bonding.

    Me, I'd choose my best friend.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    You know district 13 has been building up an army or something to bring the capitol down. I hope there is some sweet action in the next book.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ah, Cinna...adore him, but it kind of looked like they were getting rid of him right before the second games. I would love to see him come back, but realistically, they probably would have killed him since he's not really a bartering chip.

    OMGosh - if Adam Shankman plays Cinna I will boycott - I CANNOT STAND HIM!!! :D

    Not a fan of Dakota Fanning for Katniss...I imagine her more like a Rue - don't have anyone picked as an alternative though. Just NOT Kristen Stewart PLEASE!

    Kristin Chenoweth as Effie would be hilarious.

    I'll have to check out some people and get back on the rest.

    Love you gals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your thoughts, Kate! Very different perspective.

    ReplyDelete